Travel & Accommodation
The conference will be hosted on the University of Manchester campus and all conference events will be hosted in venues that are within a few hundred metres from where talks will take place. Buses will be organised for the excursion on the Wednesday of the conference. Meeting points will be announced closer to the time.
Manchester has its own International Airport, which is only 8 miles (13 km) from the Conference venue.
The UK has a number of other international airports, including London Heathrow and Gatwick in the capital as well as many other International airports in cities that are **relatively close** to Manchester (e.g. Liverpool, Birmingham, etc.)
You can travel from Manchester Airport to the city centre by train, bus or taxi.
The conference venue is 15-20 minutes walk from Manchester Piccadilly Train Station, Manchester's main railway terminal.
All approach routes for cars travelling here are clearly signposted 'The University of Manchester'. Some roads are restricted to buses and taxis so please take note of road signs to avoid incurring a penalty notice (fine).
M62 (eastbound), M602
• Leave the M62 at J12 and join the M602.
• At the end of M602, join Regent Road (A57) and continue along and join the A57M (Mancunian Way).
• Leave at the second exit signposted A34 Congleton (hair-pin bend) and keep left, following signs for The University of Manchester.
• Turn left onto the A34 (dual carriageway) and get in the right-hand lane.
• Turn right at the first set of traffic lights into Grosvenor Street.
• Stay in the left-hand lane and turn left at the next set of traffic lights onto Oxford Road (B5117).
M62 (westbound), M60
• Leave M62 at J18 and join M60 ring road.
• Leave M60 at J22 and turn right at traffic lights onto Oldham Road (A62).
• Continue along until the end and turn left to join Great Ancoats Street (A665).
• Follow signs for The University of Manchester and join the Mancunian Way (A57M).
• Take the exit from the Mancunian Way signposted A5103/Manchester Airport (M56)/Birmingham (M6).
• At the roundabout take the first exit onto Higher Cambridge Street.
• Turn left at the second set of traffic lights onto Booth Street West and then turn right onto Oxford Road (B5117).
• Leave the M6 at Junction 19 and turn right onto the A556.
• Follow signs for Manchester Airport and join the M56.
• Stay on M56 until it joins Princess Park Way (A5103).
• Continue for a further four miles (6km) before turning right at Young's Royal Brewery into Moss Lane East (B5219).
• Continue to the T-junction and turn left onto Oxford Road (B5117).
• Proceed down Oxford Road and the University campus is straight ahead.
• At the end of the motorway join Hyde Road (A57).
• Continue along for approximately three miles (4.5 km), following signs for the city centre.
• Upon reaching a major roundabout (the Apollo Theatre is on the left) take the second exit, Brunswick Street (signposted The University of Manchester).
• Continue along and go straight through the next set of traffic lights.
Several close-by multi-storey car parks offer paid public parking and are convenient and safe. Please note that when special events are on (e.g., graduation, weekday open days), parking is extremely limited. We strongly recommend that you use public transport to reach campus at these times, unless travelling by car is essential.
RNCM Car Park – Booth Street West
Aquatics Centre Car Park – Booth Street East, Manchester, M13 9SS
Getting to us by train is easy as the University is close to three main rail stations: Piccadilly, Victoria, and Oxford Road.
• Manchester Piccadilly Station | 15-min walk, 10-min by taxi
• Oxford Road Station | 12-min walk, 6-min by taxi
• Manchester Victoria Station | 30-min walk | 20-min by taxi
For details of timetables, tickets and other rail information, please call National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50 (+44 (0) 20 7278 5240 from overseas) or visit the National Rail website.
Buses run frequently from the stations to the university Oxford Road campus.
From Manchester Piccadilly Train Station: 147.
From Manchester Piccadilly Bus Station: 14, 16, 41, 42, 43, 43a, 44, 45a, 48, 111, 140, 142, 157, 250.
From Oxford Road Station: All buses that run along Oxford Road.
From Victoria Station: 42.
For more information on routes and timetables, visit the Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) website.
The exciting conference programme is co-convened with the following partners: